Now that warmer weather is upon us, it is the ideal time to take your celebrations outdoors. A farm table in an intimate garden with a gorgeous floral arrangement, printed menu cards and your favorite serving ware gives you a perfect setting for any gathering.
When our former editor, Scarlotte, announced her departure, the writers wanted to spend one more afternoon around the table enjoying her company and friendship. So we gathered in the garden for a fun summer luncheon.
As our guests arrived, we served a signature cocktail, Pomegranate Patio Punch along with an appetizer of pear & goat cheese topped crackers garnished with local honey & thyme. Our main menu included a Peach & Tomato salad with a citrus dressing, Creamy Parmesan Risotto with Asparagus, and for dessert we choose from Lemon Bars & Lemon Crumb Bars.
It was a beautiful afternoon filled with love and laughter as we wished Scarlotte the best in her future ventures.
Vendor Credits: Tablescape Styling & Design: Amy Croushorn; Floral Design: Tori Brinson Design; Wooden X-Back Chairs: The Event Group; Menu Cards: Minted ; Black & White Striped Plates & Serving Ware: Coton-Colors
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 qt. chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- Olive oil
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes; add onion. Cook until tender, stirring often. Meanwhile, heat broth.
- Add rice to onion and olive oil and cook for about a minute, stirring Constantly.
- Add about 1/2 cup broth to rice, stirring constantly until all the broth has been absorbed. Repeat adding 1/2 cup broth at a time, stirring constantly, allowing the broth to be absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- When all the broth has been added and absorbed, add butter. Then add Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in heavy cream, if using.
- Place asparagus on a cookie sheet and drizzle olive oil to coat. Season with salt. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes. The asparagus will be a bright green and tender-crisp. Stir asparagus into the risotto and serve. Pass extra Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serves 4 to 6. Recipe is easy to double.